Enfield Public Schools
2008 – 2009 Board of Education Objectives
The following objectives have been created and adopted by the Board of Education with input and agreement from the administration. The objectives have been disseminated to the Superintendent for follow through and attainment.
ACADEMIC IMPROVEMENT - Ensure academic excellence by fostering an environment of positive reinforcement, consistent challenges, and high yet realistic expectations.
- Decrease the annual dropout rate at Enrico Fermi High School and Enfield High School by .5 percent during the 2008-2009 school year.
- Increase the Enfield Public Schools “Whole District” standardized unadjusted test scores as follows:
- CMT – Math – meet or exceed Adequate Yearly Progress as determined by Connecticut State Department of Education.
- CMT – Reading – meet or exceed Adequate Yearly Progress as determined by Connecticut State Department of Education.
- CAPT – Math – meet or exceed Adequate Yearly Progress as determined by Connecticut State Department of Education.
- CAPT – Reading – meet or exceed Adequate Yearly Progress as determined by Connecticut State Department of Education.
All sub groups will meet or exceed AYP or attain Safe Harbor.
- Investigate the feasibility of creating a quantifiable process to measure Special Education student progress.
- Review and amend policies in an effort to minimize out of school suspensions.
SECURITY - Create safe and secure environments so all children can focus on learning.
- Based on state grant results, implement technology based electronic security in the elementary schools and Head Start building.
- In conjunction with local authorities, review the Enfield Public Schools’ existing crisis management plan and adjust as needed to promote proactiveness and risk minimization.
- In cooperation with the Enfield Police Department, seek to re-instate the School Resource Officer and associated programs at the Elementary School level.
BUDGET - By November 1, 2009 have the foundational framework in place to be able to implement a zero based budget process for the 2010-2011 school year’s budget.
- Create a policy that clearly defines a consistent and systematic process for the Board of Education to establish the annual Enfield Public Schools budget.
- Identify and attempt to secure additional sources of revenue without impacting the taxpayers of Enfield.
TECHNOLOGY - Use technology as a means to enhance the educational experience, support administrative functions and increase communications with the community.
- Work with ITPC to secure Financial and Administrative Software.
- Place all audio and/or video from regular meetings of the Board of Education and provide access to meeting via the Enfield Public Schools website.
- Policy Review – complete review all policies and update as necessary.
- Curriculum Subcommittee – continue to review and update curriculum.
- Review the recommendations of the Demographic Advisory Committee for potential Board action.
- Continue to review the recommendations of the Audit Committee for potential Board action.