The subcommittees created from the Suicide Awareness & Prevention Group continue to meet and work towards improving Enfield's awareness of and strategies to prevent suicides. The following summaries outline their work over the past month. Updates will be posted as received.
Students Supporting Students Subgroup Summary
What we’ve done over the past few weeks as requested by Dr. Schultz
The following occurred at our meeting on February 1, 2012:
1) We discussed the results of a meeting that occurred on 1/24 between John Coccia and Chad Ellis at Montville H.S. Mr. Ellis (principal of Montville) recently brought the Rachel’s Challenge Program to his school. We determined that this program was worthy of further investigation.
2) We discussed the results of a meeting that occurred on 1/30 between Paul Newton, John Coccia, and Steve Mooney (Counselor at Somers H.S.). Mr. Mooney runs a student lead program at Somers called Students Supporting Students. We determined that this program was worthy of further investigation.
3) We watched a Rachel’s Challenge informational dvd.
4) We set our next meeting for 2/29.
5) We determined we would like to ask a teacher and a guidance counselor to be in our subcommittee. Brendan Walsh (FHS teacher) and Heather Aselton (FHS Guidance Counselor) have agreed to participate.
1) John Coccia contacted Rachel’s Challenge and asked them to participate by phone at our next scheduled subgroup meeting on 3/14. John spoke at length with Andrew Strait from Rachel’s Challenge who provided additional program information and agreed to phone conference with us.
2) We have planned a visit to Somers H.S. to meet with the Students Supporting Students advisers and students. John Coccia, Paul Newton, Sandy Ingalls, and FHS students Peter Carcia, Sam Peritz, Celina Gaines and Sheena Ware will be traveling to Somers for a scheduled meeting on 3/8.
3) Once we have concluded our information gathering process we will present to the Steering Committee what we believe to be the appropriate programs to bring into the Enfield Public Schools.
Next Meeting: 3/14 at FHS, 2:15