"We believe every child is unique and the diversity of our students is what makes Enfield Public Schools exceptional.To thrive and excel, all are welcomed, accepted, respected, and supported."District Equity Statement

DDS Transition Timeline

State of CT Department of Developmental Services

  • DDS: Application Forms and additional information on eligibility are on the DDS website under ELIGIBILITY.
  • Guardianship: Once a person turns 18 (the age a person is considered an adult in CT), all legal rights and responsibilities transfer to the adult student. Parents are not automatically guardians; only the courts can appoint guardianship.

  • Social Security: Application is for the individual only, as an adult. It is not based off parent’s income. SSI (Supplemental Security Income) establishes the disability determination necessary to apply for HUSKY C.

  • Medicaid: Apply for the individual only, separate from other family members residing in the home who may also have Medicaid. HUSKY C must be obtained in order to be eligible to receive any available DDS funding.

  • Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS): BRS is a division under the State Department of Aging and Disability Services (ADS, formerly known as DORS).
    • Level-Up Services: Provides pre-employment transition services to eligible students (aged 16-22) to help them be preparedto go out and find their place in the world. Contact your school or visit the BRS Level Up website for information on eligibility.
    • Adult Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Services: Provides employment services for adults with disabilities in order to prepare for, find, and keep a job. Visit the BRS Adult VR website for information on eligibility.
  • The Workforce Innovations Opportunities Act (WIOA): Be sure to call the number provided on the letter you receive from DDS and ADS (mailed home the summer before your final year of high school) to learn how this process can impact access to DDS funding. A formal record review and/or vocational assessments will be conducted by BRS to determine one’s eligibility for employment services.

  • DDS Service Options: Learn about Self-Determination or find qualified agencies to provide desired supports post-graduation. Some examples are individual supports, job coaching, group supported employment, vocational and day services options. For more information about these services, explore the Employment and Day Services (ct.gov) page.

  • Level of Need (LON): An assessment tool used to determine one’s level of need for supports and services, and funding to be provided by DDS.

  • Individual Plan (IP): The IP will be completed once a case manager is assigned and will outline one’s services and supports with DDS, as well as one’s future goals.

  • Benefits Counseling: Will help one understand how working may impact their social security and other benefits, so one can make good decisions about their goals, potential earnings, and health insurance needs.

  • Bank Accounts: For SSI purposes, every person should have an account in their own name, even if guardianship is appointed. Any bank can assist you in deciding what type of account is appropriate; individual accounts vs. custodial and guardian accounts.

  • Photo ID: Every person should have a State of CT photo identification card, after graduation a school ID is no longer valid.

  • Transportation Services: Individuals with disabilities are eligible for reduced fare on public transportation and/or door-to-door

    paratransit services. Visit the DDS Advocate’s Corner for information on transportation and more.

  • Register to Vote: To become a registered voter in CT, you can mail in an application or complete an online application.

  • Employment Options: Explore and learn the difference between supported employment and integrated competitive employment.

  • Portfolio / Summary of Performance (SOP): This information will be used to help adult providers/staff to get to know the individual. The SOP is designed to highlight a student’s strengths and present suggestions for supports and services that a student may need to be successful in post-high school environments. Visit the State Department of Education’s website for more information about the SOP.

    **Please Note: CT DDS Supports and Services are not entitlements therefore, subject to appropriations from the state legislature each year.**